Sunday, January 17, 2016

Is wrapping for me???




There are two main ways to wear your baby... With "a piece of cloth", called a wrap, and a "backpack thing" called a SSC (soft structured carrier). (Yes I realize a wrap is not JUST a piece of cloth, and yes I realize those are not the only two ways to wear your children) 

When trying to teach people about babywearing, I often get asked which one they ought to try. Everything in the babywearing world is personal preference!! It's like a pair of jeans. You just have to try it until you find what works for you. Everyone is different. I have noticed that some carriers that I just haven't liked at all, some people LOVE more than anything. 

I personally love both wrapping, and SSC for very different reasons. SSC are convenient, easy to put on, user friendly, and super comfortable.

The reason I LOVE wrapping. Wrapping is the truest, oldest form of babywearing. 


It makes me feel connected. 
Wrapping is an art form, it is beautiful, it takes time, and there is no one right way to do it. 








I also love wrapping, because you can distribute the weight where ever you want it. If my 3 year old has fallen asleep on my back in a SSC. After a long time my lower back starts to hurt a little. But in a wrap, I can easily change it around, and shift the weight to another place. 

It is always recommended that you start with front and side carries before attempting back carries. With wrapping it is important that you understand what a good seat, and a secure wrap job feel like.  Here are some great tutorials on easy front carries. 


FWCC (Front Wrap Cross Carry) with newborn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzqR-rrrSp4


No comments:

Post a Comment