Sunday, January 31, 2016

Stretchy Wraps

When I was pregnant with my first baby, one of my sisters gave me a Moby wrap.

I knew nothing of wrapping  babies. I had never seen it, nor heard of it before. Little did I know it would change my life. She explained to me how to wear it, and put my baby in.... I read the instruction manual... and I still did some things wrong. BUT my baby Preschooler is still alive, and nothing is wrong with him..(although sometimes that is up for debate, haha) ;)

So.. here is the recommended way to wear your lovely child in a stretchy wrap. 

1. There should always be 3 passes over the child. A pass is when the fabric crosses the body. So the fabric should go over the child's body 3 times. As you can see in the picture below, the two cross passes go over the child, and the horizontal pass goes over the child.

2. Baby should be close enough to kiss. A common mistake is to position the baby too low.

3. The weight of the baby should be on their bum, and NOT on their feet. I would always grab my little man's feet, cross them at the ankles, and slide him down in the wrap!! I cringe every time I think about it!!! Not only was he sitting ON his feet, but they were crossed!! in this picture you can see the child's knees are higher than their bum, and there is no weight on the feet. It is recommended now to wrap the baby with the feet out from birth. probably because of people like me. haha!!


4. Their chin should be off of their chest, to keep their airways open.

5. Their Back should be supported, and the wrap should be tight.

6. The baby's face should always be in view. Even if other people can't see them, as long as their face is visible to you. 

7. stretchy wraps should NEVER be used for back carries.
you can do front and side carries though. 








  


No comments:

Post a Comment